Internet is a formless object, a virtual world with a number of concurrent philosophies surviving on it. Its impacting our society in more then one way which is giving birth to a new philosophy ‘A Philosophy of Internet‘. Today internet is a necessity, tomorrow it can become a vital part of our society, as it will be a home to a number of societies, views, practices which will exist online but will have no existence in real world.
Internet or web can have a number of definitions. Its a technological innovation, its a communication technology, its a workplace, a place of entertainment, a place to relax, a place to find solutions, a place where community interacts, a place of research, a place to flirt, a place to earn living. Internet today is a complex place, it has many followers most of them are internet addicts who cannot leave even a day or hour without it.
Internet is a convenient medium to fulfill our desires, its a virtual reality with connections to real world. We can be happy or sad with what we see, read or hear right now in front of us but the moment any of the medium in between fails we are immediately thrown back to real world, real circumstances. There are so many intermediaries which are not controlled by anyone.
There is no philosophy of internet itself as its just a medium, a connection between two or more, a view, an instance. We can use internet to make advances in our personal, social and professional life and if we are not careful we can loose our existing personal connections, loose contact with society, deform our professional life because so much exists here that anyone can get lost in this labyrinth in any direction which can be a either positive or negative.
Our basic personality, views on life do help us to understand right and wrong directions but for those who are yet to develop these foundations are likely to get lost in wrong directions.Sam Harris in his latest blog post “Wrestling the Troll” wrote these lines which underline philosophy on internet “The Internet powerfully enables the spread of good ideas, but it works the same magic for bad ones—and it allows distortions of fact and opinion to become permanent features of our intellectual landscape”.
Internet and Philosophy
We cannot explore all the places on internet even in our lifetime due to several reasons like
- We cannot visit all places on web as there is a huge number of websites and webpages which is increasing day by day.
- Our lifestyle is also a reason which decides how and where we visit, we only explore that are part of our life.
- Our individual interests and hobbies too limit our online exploration, we hardly go beyond that even in our dreams.
- Internet is also grouped for people who fall in a group based on there surrounding and backgrounds, people with a difference find it difficult to interact in an online environment with which they are not familiar.
- How we search and what we search is also limited to our personal vocabulary and a number of factors which sometimes helps us to find something we are looking for in few steps while in most cases we are never able to reach our intentionally most desired places which do exist online because we never know the ‘words‘ under which it exists. Internet marketers and salesmen keep working on this to find these words which people are using to find something related to there business product.
Internet is a useful tool, an ethical philosophy and so many good things are happening and are possible today with it. Its a democracy without any authority or political boundaries, things exists because there is someone who is looking for it, someone who is close to it.
You can read more on the philosophy of internet, a lecture by Hubert Dreyfus at University of Tasmania which is published online. Your feedback is important for me and this blog, so please do inscribe your reaction on the post Internet and Philosophy by commenting.